Skip to content

Eyebrow Threading

October 5, 2011

Yesterday I took part in try something new Tuesday. Only it didn’t involve anything fitness or food related. I got my eyebrows threaded.

When I can, I prefer to get my brows waxed over the hassle of tweezing. I was due for a brow wax when a co-worker suggested to me to try out eyebrow threading. I’d seen the kiosks for threading popping up over the malls around Houston, but I’d never checked one out. I’d always been hesitant to get my eyebrows done in the middle of the mall. She told me of a place that was a little more private than smack in the middle of the mall and after a few questions about how it worked, did it hurt, does it last etc. etc. I was down for trying it.

So what is eyebrow threading?

Threading is an ancient eastern hair removal technique that uses a cotton thread to remove the hair. The cotton is twisted and rolled across the surface of the skin entwining the hairs to quickly lift them off the skin.

What are the benefits of threading versus waxing or tweezing?

Versus tweezing, threading takes a lot less time and annoyance

Threading is a lot more “green” because it takes no chemicals versus waxing

You are able to get a lot more sculpting and shaping of the brows than when you wax or tweeze

Threading can alleviate breakouts or sensitivity due to harsh chemicals used in waxing

It doesn’t leave the crazy redness for hours like waxing does. I was able to get my brows done during my lunch break and go back to the office confident my face wasn’t red.

I’ve been told threading will last longer than tweezing or waxing, but the jury is still out at that one for a month or two.

Is it expensive?

I paid $10 for the service, which is very comparable to what I’ve paid for waxing.

and my biggest question.. does it hurt?

For me, it did hurt a little more than waxing. Upon talking to the woman who threaded them for me she said the level of pain you experience is just based upon each persons own sensitivity.

I enjoyed (most) of my experience from the spa visit. The funniest thing was that the woman who did my brows took it upon herself to color them in when I was finished (a dark brown) so I returned to work with eyebrows 3 shades darker than when I left. I also discovered taking a non-weird picture of your eyebrows in challenging, but you get the picture.

eyebrow threading picture

In all seriousness I am sold on the eyebrow threading and I definitely will be back. I’m curious to see how much longer eyebrow threading lasts over waxing, and I’m also curious to see if it’s possible to thread your own eyebrows at home.

So, what do you think, would you be up for trying out eyebrow threading or have you already?

brittsig

11 Comments leave one →
  1. Ligia permalink
    October 5, 2011 9:33 PM

I’ve done it a couple of times and definitely prefer it over waxing and tweezing! I think the shape comes out better and a lot more natural than with waxing.

2. October 5, 2011 9:39 PM

I have been quite curious about threading! Glad you posted this – perhaps I shall give it a try in the near future! =)

Your eyebrows look fabulous!

3. October 5, 2011 9:42 PM

Well, $10 for threading is definitely cheaper than what people want around here for waxing! I am seriously not going to spend $15-18 for waxing lol. I should probably check out threading too!

4. October 5, 2011 10:40 PM

I’ll try it! Sounds better than the redness you get after waxing. I can’t see up close to pluck mine anymore anyway! I don’t know if i want my eyebrows any darker though! Thanks for sharing! Love, Mom

5. October 5, 2011 11:11 PM

my roommate knows someone that does it for $5 in Dallas. She says anything more than that is too much. You have gorgeous eyes!

6. October 6, 2011 6:37 AM

It’s nice to know that it actually works. Sometimes those people can look a little sketchy. I can’t wait to try it once I need to get my eyebrows done. :)

7. October 6, 2011 11:25 AM

hmmm i’ve been wanting to try out threading, you may have convinced me. your eyebrows do look really good!! I get so sick of tweezing and I don’t think I’m very good at it. And waxing, well, I get them waxed once a month or so but i cringe throughout the entire process.

8. October 6, 2011 5:44 PM

They look great Britt!! And I’m so glad you hopped on my little Try Something New Tuesday bandwagon! I used to live in the Middle East and threading is really popular with the women over there. I would often get it done at salons and it was super cheap, but not sure I could ever do it myself. One wrong pull and you could be down an entire eyebrow!

9. October 9, 2011 10:18 AM

Your eyebrows look great. I’ve been curious about this, but I haven’t tried it out yet. Thanks for the post! :)

10. October 11, 2011 9:34 PM

I have wondered about threading for a long time. One thing is, you can barely see my brows to notice if a hair or two is out of place. But, and this is more important, I grew up around women who over tweezed! As I am getting older, I am definitely considering a bit of eyebrow reconstruction. I know I do not want to tweeze, or wax(not enough hair to bother), shave(that’s what my mother ended up doing), or have my eyebrows threaded in public. Recently a threading place opened up that offers privacy. After reading this, I just might try it. My skin turns red easily, I would rather that not happen and be out in public! Thanks for the info!

Trackbacks